ickstream.com

Home of the ickStream Music System

tidal Lossless on ickstream playing MP3

tidal Lossless on ickstream playing MP3

Postby frvanhoudenhoven » Fri Nov 14, 2014 9:40 pm

just installed the login on my squeezebox running on OS X, excited to try out Tidal Hifi.

I am finding that everything installs fine, remote works, and music plays. However music plays in MP3:(

I then enabled Qobuz on Ickstream since i have a HiFi subscription that works great using the Qobuz plugin However same result - service plays MP3 through Ickstream.

Any suggestions? i looked for settings, but could not find anything. Rebooted LMS server, but no luck

Thanks
frvanhoudenhoven

Re: tidal Lossless on ickstream playing MP3

Postby joerg » Fri Nov 14, 2014 9:56 pm

Is bitrate limiting enabled for your player in LMS?
Which album were you trying? Not everything on TIDAL is available as FLAC, yet
joerg

Postby frvanhoudenhoven » Fri Nov 14, 2014 10:15 pm

stream bitrate is set to 'no limit'. I tried couple of albums/tracks that i know are HIFI on Tidal (played them direct in the Tidal app on mac and iPhone). They play MP3 in ickstream.

Same with Qobuz, where i can play through LMS plugin direct at HiFi quality, or again in the Qobuz app, yet when playing through ickstream i get MP3 quality...
frvanhoudenhoven

Postby joerg » Fri Nov 14, 2014 10:26 pm

OK, there's a bug in the format display code which makes it sometimes display MP3 although what you are actually streaming is FLAC.
For me, this goes away for example if I play an album and skip back and forth between tracks. When I play a track for the second time it's shown as FLAC.

I'm actually not even sure Qobuz even _has_ mp3 streams...
joerg

Postby remd » Fri Nov 14, 2014 10:55 pm

I just double checked as I was seeing the same thing.

If you enable "debug" logs for all the ickstream logs, in the LMS "settings, Advanced, logging" tab, you should see something like this in the server logs (in settings, information, server logs):
"
'icon' => 'plugins/IckStreamPlugin/html/images/icon.png',
'cover' => 'http://images.osl.wimpmusic.com/im/im?w=512&h=512&albumid=1885050',
'album' => '1885050',
'artist' => 'Jason Reeves',
'format' => 'audio/flac',
'duration' => 225,
'title' => '2. Happy Accident.'
"
This shows that is is actually playing FLAC tracks and not mp3 as it is showing in the LMS track details.

We have a bug open for this, we'll fix it as soon as possible
remd

Postby frvanhoudenhoven » Sat Nov 15, 2014 12:15 am

thanks!
frvanhoudenhoven

Postby jgilvey » Sun Nov 16, 2014 2:30 pm

Same issue here with a Squeezebox Touch. Tried a number of things to see why my feed would be switched to a low bitrate stream , seemingly at random and not tied to network or broadband load, before finding this thread. :-)
jgilvey

Postby hshrader » Tue Nov 18, 2014 2:18 pm

Yes - would be ideal to be able to easily confirm quality of steam. I have it working, but comes up as a Mp3. I am pretty sure i don't have LAME installed so not possible to play mp3s, but not positive. Is there a simple way of confirming stream. I went to the Logfiles, but nothing clear came from that search.
hshrader

Postby joerg » Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:09 am

Yes, I just learned that it's probably an error in LMS that the plugin would have to work around. The code in LMS showing the stream format defaults to "MP3" when it doesn't know what the stream is, we obvioudly have to provide own information here.
joerg

Postby hshrader » Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:11 am

To easily determine quality of stream through SB, could you include the bit rate at which the music is being transmitted? This may be clearer than seeing if transfers are in MP3 or flac. This info could be added in the More info part of the track.
hshrader

Next

Return to Squeezebox Open beta